When a physical condition or injury affects mobility or quality of life, there is one goal: A rapid return to every-day activities.
Our Clinic is proud to be on the medical technological forefront by offering MLS Laser Therapy. We have invested in the very best technology as a key component of our continuing quest to offer you the finest in health care.
Laser therapy has been cleared by the FDA and proven successful as evidenced by extensive and credible studies conducted in our country’s finest institutions, including Harvard University.
MLS Laser Therapy uses specific wavelengths of light that have a strong anti-inflammatory, anti-edema effect on tissues that are exposed to the laser. Painful conditions accompanied by swelling or inflammation benefit from this technology.
Photons of laser energy penetrate deeply into tissue and accelerate cellular reproduction and growth. As a result of exposure to the MLS Laser, the cells of tendons, ligaments and muscles repair themselves faster. As inflammation is reduced pain subsides very quickly. In simple terms, laser energy kick-starts the healing process, thereby speeding recovery.
There are no known side-effects! Laser therapy is cleared by the FDA and is safe and effective.
10 Benefits of MLS® Laser Therapy
1. Anti-Inflammatory: MLS Laser Therapy has an anti-edema effect as it causes vasodilation, but also because it activates the lymphatic drainage system which drains swollen areas. As a result, there is a reduction in swelling caused by bruising or inflammation.
2. Analgesic: MLS Laser Therapy has a beneficial effect on nerve cells. It blocks pain transmitted by these cells to the brain which decreases nerve sensitivity. Also, due to decreased inflammation, there is less edema and less pain. Another pain blocking mechanism involves the production of high levels of pain killing chemicals such as endorphins and enkephalin from the brain and adrenal glands.
3. Accelerated Tissue Repair and Cell Growth: Photons of light from lasers penetrate deeply into tissue and accelerate cellular reproduction and growth. The laser light increases the energy available to the cell so that the cell can take on nutrients faster and get rid of waste products. As a result of exposure to laser light, damaged cells are repaired faster.
4. Improved Vascular Activity: Laser light will significantly increase the formation of new capillaries in damaged tissue which speeds up the healing process, closes wounds quickly and reduces scar tissue. Additional benefits include acceleration of angiogenesis, which causes temporary vasodilation and increases the diameter of blood vessels.
5. Increases Metabolic Activity: MLS Laser Therapy creates higher outputs of specific enzymes, greater oxygen and food particle loads for blood cells.
6. Trigger Points and Acupuncture Points: MLS Laser Therapy stimulates muscle trigger points and acupuncture points on a noninvasive basis providing musculoskeletal pain relief.
7. Reduced Fibrous Tissue Formation: MLS Laser Therapy reduces the formation of scar tissue following tissue damage from cuts, scratches, burns or surgery.
8. Improved Nerve Function: Slow recovery of nerve functions in damaged tissue can result in numbness and impaired limbs. Laser light speeds the process of nerve cell reconnection and increase the amplitude of action potentials to optimize muscle healing.
9. Immunoregulation: Laser light has a direct effect on immunity status by stimulating immunoglobulins and lymphocytes. Laser emissions are absorbed by chromophores
(molecule enzymes) that react to laser light. Upon exposure to the laser, the enzyme flavomononucleotide is activated and starts the production of ATP (adenosine-triphosphate), which is the major carrier of cell energy and the energy source for all chemical reactions in the cells.
10. Faster Wound Healing: Laser light stimulates fibroblast development in damaged tissue. Fibroblasts are the building blocks of collagen, which is the essential protein required to replace old tissue or to repair tissue injuries. As a result, MLS Laser Therapy is effective post surgically and in the treatment of open wounds and burns.
MLS® Laser Therapy Testimonials
“Almost 5 weeks ago, Dr. Shanahan performed bunion and hammertoe correction on my left foot. Fourteen years ago, I had similar surgery on my right foot (from a different institution), and the painful recovery was the main reason I waited for 14 years to do it again! However, my current recovery is a totally different story and I credit Dr. Shanahan’s expertise and MLS Laser Therapy.
Shortly after surgery, I began MLS Laser Therapy which consisted of 6 painless sessions over a period of 2 weeks. The results have been amazing. I have had relatively no pain and very quick incision healing. I am extremely pleased with my results and would not hesitate to use this recovery method again.
Karen L., Commerce Twp, MI
“My name is Joan. For over six months I had a sharp, stabbing pain on the outer heel area of my left foot. It would hurt on and off all day long. I tried many things in an effort to ease the pain. Nothing worked. The pain would not go away. Dr. Shanahan suggested that I try MLS laser therapy. I had six treatments over two weeks and 95% of the pain is gone. It has been over two weeks since the last treatment and the pain is still basically gone. I highly recommend trying this treatment. It has certainly worked for me. Thank you Lakes Foot and Ankle!!”
Joan C., White lake, MI
“Having been a nurse for 27 years I have seen my fair share of patients’ with problems post operatively. So when I cared for a young woman with severe complications after having a lapidus bunionectomy only one month prior my scheduled date for that very surgery… it sent me running for the hills. Actually running back for an urgent third opinion from Dr Popofski ! She assured me my surgery would not render the same fate as my patient at work. And she was right. At my first post op appointment she suggested to me to try the MLS Laser Therapy. Being the nurse that I am, who believes only in conventional medicine, I was very skeptical. But once again Dr Popofski reassured me. So I agreed to “try It”. Once I started the MLS I have literally had no pain. The swelling and bruising in my foot seemed to dissipate immediately. My wound was completely healed after two weeks and as of today the scar is minimal. The MLS treatment was painless except that I can say that I felt a little tingling. It felt as if the cells were regenerating as I sat there. It has definitely made me a believer. I would highly recommend the MLS Therapy for anyone postoperatively.”
Karen B. (Commerce Twp., MI)
“I recently had corrective surgery on my right foot with Dr. Shanahan at Lakes Foot and Ankle Associates. While the surgery went very well, I was offered additional treatments with the MLS laser therapy. Being an elementary school teacher on my feet all day, I wanted the absolute best outcome and quickest recovery. Therefore, I was eager to try this laser therapy. I had 6 sessions with the MLS treatment and with each one I noticed more flexibility and strength in my foot. I truly experienced no pain throughout my recovery, just soreness from time to time. Having MLS reduced the soreness immediately after treatments each time and lasted days. Although I had no previous experience to show comparisons without the MLS treatment, it was obvious from Dr. Shanahan and his staff that I was making advanced recovery in a short amount of time. I was able to make a quick transition from the boot to a shoe and am now walking with my usual gate and pace. I’m extremely grateful to Dr. Shanahan and his staff for their professionalism and care. I’m also thankful to have been offered the MLS treatment which I believe strengthened my foot and minimized the recovery period.”
Caron L. (White Lake, MI)
“I had such bad heel pain before the MLS laser treatments that I couldn’t even sit and relax in a recliner and rest my foot comfortably. Just walking or being on it during a routine day was painful and uncomfortable. I had 6 laser treatments and can now rest my foot on the end of the recliner comfortably with no pain. I can go for a 4 mile or so walk with no pain.
Thank you Lakes Foot and Ankle for once again making me pain free!”
Lisa T. (Commerce Twp., MI)
“Dr. Shanahan performed a Chevron surgery (bunion correction) on my left foot on October 7th. Six days later, my cast was removed and I received my first laser treatment at the incision site. I received this laser treatment 2-3 times per week for five weeks; twelve total treatments. There was absolutely no pain during the laser treatment, which typically lasted 6-9 minutes each session. After my third laser treatment, I could feel the difference; less pain and more flexibility. By the 17th or 18th day post op, all of my discomfort/pain was basically gone. I have friends who had the same surgery performed by other doctors indicate their pain lasted much longer. I’m sure the laser treatments I received were very helpful with the healing process I experienced. On November 17th (six weeks post op), I was cleared to start walking in shoes again. I expect to be running again in 3-4 weeks. Dr. Shanahan is an incredible surgeon and true expert in his field. The laser treatments very helpful for me and I would recommend them to anyone who is looking to decrease pain and increase recovery time post op.”
Greg K. (Canton, MI)
“For those who suffer from neuropathy. I had suffered from diabetic neuropathy for over 10 years. Dealing with the pain and the feeling of numbness in both legs. Having tried many ‘cures’ including medication and acupuncture, I had given up hope of relief. Then I heard of a treatment called MLS laser therapy through my podiatrist. Having nothing to lose, I decided to give this a try. After the first or second treatment I began to sense more feeling in my legs than I had in many years. I began to feel warmth in my feet and also better balance. I definitely endorse this treatment modality.
Don S., retired registered pharmacist (Commerce Twp., MI)