“Do we have a fungus among us?”
Lakes Foot & Ankle Associates is now the premier facility for the management of fungal nail disease.
Toenail fungus affects 30 million Americans, posing both physical and cosmetic problems for those affected. Known medically as onychomycosis, it can cause nail discoloration and deformity, and in some cases, pain or discomfort while walking.
Moreover,toenail fungus may be perceived as a social stigma, deterring those affected from enjoying routine activities, such as wearing open toed shoes or taking off their shoes in the company of others. While much progress has been made in identifying the causes of this condition, treatment options have been largely limited to oral drugs that are associated with adverse side effects and prescription topicals and home remedies that have not been proven effective.
GenesisPlus is a new approach to addressing toenail fungus that puts patients’ safety and comfort first. The system applies laser energy to the toenail plate and surrounding tissue. The laser light gradually heats the fungus and promotes the growth of healthy, clear nails.
The procedure requires no anesthetics and poses no risk of serious side effects.
Treatment typically takes 20-30 minutes, and patients are able to return to regular activities immediately following the procedure.
GenesisPlus is a multipurpose laser system designed to provide a fast and effective solution for a wide range of cosmetic conditions, including onychomycosis, warts and scars. Its state-of-the-art design allows for customized treatments tailored to each patient’s individual concerns. The system includes a real-time temperature sensor that provides feedback so just the right amount of laser energy is delivered.
Some Fungus Facts:
- Toenail fungus is a prevalent condition that poses both physical and emotional problems for those affected
- Can cause nail deformity, pain or discomfort while wearing shoes, and in some cases, cause the nail to completely detach
- Often perceived as a social stigma because of the unsightly appearance of the nails, and in some cases, foul odors resulting from the infection
- Can cause embarrassment and diminish the quality of life by inhibiting routine social activities
- Athletes and people with diabetes or other chronic conditions are at a higher risk of toenail fungus
- Few viable treatment options
- Topical treatments alone are generally not effective in treating toenail fungus because of insufficient nail plate penetration
- Oral drugs are associated with a number of adverse side effects, including gastrointestinal disorders, skin disorders, headaches and abnormal liver function
- GenesisPlus is a new approach to toenail fungus that puts patients’ safety and comfort first
- Effective in clearing nails of both mild and severe forms of fungus
- No anesthetics, no side effects and no patient downtime
If you would like to be evaluated and see if you are a candidate for laser nail treatment, please contact our office.