What Are Fungal Toenails?
When a fungal infection develops underneath your toenails, you have a fungal nail. This can cause nail discoloration, thickening, odor, and deformities. The nail(s) may become brittle, crumbly, or ragged, very difficult to cut, and may also be painful.
Fungal nails are caused by the same types of fungi that cause athlete’s foot, ringworm, and jock itch. They also tend to thrive in warm, moist, humid, and dark places. That means without proper precautions, it can be easy to pick up a fungal infection—and spread it to your family or other members of your community.
Common Fungal Toenail Causes
- Wearing sweaty shoes and socks
- Walking barefoot in public showers, pool decks, or locker rooms
- Getting a pedicure at a spa without proper sterilization procedures
- Spending a lot of time in water
- Having a minor skin or nail injury, especially if you have athlete’s foot
Get Your Healthy Toenails Back in Commerce Twp
If you’ve long ago given up hope that your fungal toenails could be cured, it’s time to try again. When comprehensive treatment and laser therapy are combined with guided preventative care at home, the overall success rate for eliminating fungal toenails—and keeping them away for good—is very high.
Call (248) 360-3888 today to schedule your appointment, or contact us online!